Sports psychology involves the study and examination of how various psychological factors affect athletes’ performance on the field, in the gym, and on the ice.
The infographic below — courtesy of BestCounselingSchools.com — that pertains to sports psychology highlights the many psychological characteristics of great athletes, including focus, drive and volition, emotional control, calmness, and confidence.
Additionally, the visual display addresses the different effects of stress on performance: emotional, physical, and psychological.
Included in the graphic are quotes from famous athletes — both past and present — like Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Billie Jean King, Tiger Woods, and Wayne Gretzky, that offer wisdom on mental resiliency and how to become a great athlete.
Sports Psychology — Noteworthy Quotes From Athletes
- “You always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretzky
- “If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.” — Carl Lewis
- “Learn to control your emotions or they will control you.” — Edgar Martinez
- “It’s a lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges.” — Muhammad Ali
- “Enthusiam is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string.” — Pele
A Look At Sports Psychology, Traits Of Successful Athletes