Top Menu

At Last! Your Favorite NFL Stadium Will Be A WiFi Hotspot

Gillette Stadium is currently all alone as a WiFi Hotspot. Soon it will have 30 friends.

For many sports fans, it’s not enough to just go to a game. There are pictures to post, smack talk postings to upload on a social network, game-related Tweets to Tweet and maybe even a video or two of a great play to post on YouTube. And that’s on top of a constant stream of fantasy team updates and lineup tweaks.

As it currently stands, however, very few stadiums are equipped as a WiFi hotspot or have the cellular data capacity to allow each sports fan in attendance to connect online via their smartphones or tablets.

Some sports, especially the NFL, want to change the experience at stadiums so fans will be more likely to choose stadium seats over the couches at home.

Last year, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell mandated the implementation of high-density Wi-Fi infrastructure in each of the league’s 31 stadiums by the 2015 season.

USA Today quoted Goodell as saying, “We have made the point repeatedly that the experience at home is outstanding, and we have to compete with that in some fashion by making sure that we create the same kind of environment in our stadiums.”

What’s The NFL’s Solution?

The answer is clear: The NFL is creating more high-tech stadiums so fans can enjoy all the benefits of Wi-Fi connectivity while they’re at the game.

By offering these services, the NFL hopes that attendance numbers will begin to increase. With game-centric apps and other features fans can enjoy, the NFL could create an experience distinctive to physically being at a game that even the largest HD televisions couldn’t replicate.

Which Franchises Are Out-kicking The Coverage?

levis-stadium

These stadiums have either completed, or are on their way to completing, stadiums that are outfitted with high-density Wi-Fi technology. This will allow fans to quickly and easily connect to the Internet, meaning no amount of user traffic at games will clog the pipe and slow Internet speeds to a slug’s pace.

Gillette Stadium

The home of the New England Patriots has found a great way to get their football fans online at the game. Powered with ultra-fast fiber-optic Internet from Verizon FiOS and high-speed Internet from Enterasys Networks, the stadium can support the online antics of all their fans and visitors.

In October of this year, Verizon FiOS hosted an event at the stadium called the #FiOSTailGaming event. With the speed and bandwidth of FiOS, fans competed for tickets to a future game in an online tournament of – what else –Madden 25 on Xbox 360.

Levi’s Stadium

The San Francisco 49ers will unveil a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium for the 2014 NFL season. Arstechnica.com reports that “68,500 fans will inevitably walk into the stadium for each game. And every single one of them will be able to connect to the wireless network, simultaneously, without any limits on uploads or downloads.”

With technology like this, the in-game possibilities are virtually endless. Fans can expect to be able to view instant replays on their web-enabled devices and may be able to access live camera angles that are only available to ticket holders.

Being A WiFi Hotspot Is No Longer A Suggestion

These stadiums aren’t the only ones the NFL expects to step up to the Wi-Fi plate. According to Sportsbusinessdaily.com, “The NFL is requiring all league stadiums to meet newly crafted minimum Wi-Fi and cellular standards by the end of the 2014 season, the latest move by America’s top sport to improve the in-game experience.”

Owners got this news in October of this year, so they have some work to do to get their stadiums up to par by the end of next year’s season, although “[t]he Wi-Fi and cellular requirements carry no penalties for noncompliance.”

Gillette Stadium is getting it done, as you can see above. Now the rest of the NFL will need to follow suit.

How Will You Benefit From A WiFi Hotspot Stadium?

The NFL hopes these changes mean you’ll spend a little more time at a game rather than just watching it on the big screen back home. And, honestly, there may be something to that wish. The in-game benefits of this super-powerful WiFi hotspot go beyond just being able to update your Twitter feed.

The new and improved Levi’s Stadium, for instance, will experiment with smartphone apps that will allow fans order food and drinks right from their seats, as well as search for which restrooms have the shortest lines.

You probably shouldn’t expect cheaper game tickets as these new “smart” stadiums open. In fact, ticket prices may go up, with the caveat that these new value-added features – like exclusive instant replays, food delivery and Fantasy Football lounges – justify a pricier ticket.

sports-networker_AFP_728x90

, , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to At Last! Your Favorite NFL Stadium Will Be A WiFi Hotspot

1. hcg weight loss supplement December 16, 2013 at 5:51 am #

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for hcgg supplement

2. financial advisors in boca raton florida January 26, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understan your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and
    the way inn which you say it. Youu make it entertaining and you strill care
    for to keep it wise. I can nnot wait to read ffar more from you.
    This is really a tremendous wweb site.

3. Pompano Beach Plumber February 2, 2014 at 2:41 am #

I simplky couldn’t ggo away your websote prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed
    the standard info a person provide in yojr guests?
    Is gping to be gain often to investigate cross-check new posts

4. Celsa February 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Informastive article, just what I wanted to find.

5. lose weight February 12, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Very nice blog post. I certainly love this site.

Thanks!

6. fitness inspirational quotes March 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

excellent points altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What would you suggest about your publish that you just made a few
    days in the past? Any positive?

7. Cathern March 4, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

Amazing! Its genuinely awesome post, I have got much clear idea about from
    this article.

8. mobile games April 15, 2014 at 7:07 am #

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?

I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But imagine if
    you added some great photos or video clips to give your posts more,
    “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this site could certainly be
    one of the greatest in its field. Awesome blog!

9. telecharger pdf creator April 21, 2014 at 3:19 am #

I do not even understand how I ended up right here, but I thought this
    publish was great. I do not recognise who you’re but certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger if
    you are not already. Cheers!

10. spa cover sales long beach April 30, 2014 at 11:12 am #

Cal spa services offers los angeles spa services,pool spa
    services long beach,spa cover sales long beach,spa services los angeles ,long beach pool spa services,
    spa cover sales.

11. Eric Saferstein May 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Learn about the downside to Roger Goodell’s ultimate plan for stadium technological interconnectivity.

12. my singing monsters cheats May 8, 2014 at 10:11 am #

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before end I am reading this impressive paragraph to improve my experience.

13. rea May 28, 2014 at 1:02 am #

Just want to say you article is as amazing. The clearness in
    your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an exprt on this subject.
    Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date
    with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and
    please continue thee rewarding work.

14. Martin ed June 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Wow, they must havee bought a lott of Wlanrepeater s to have an entire stadium with wifi O:

15. google June 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my
    newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some
    time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.

Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your
    blog and I look forward to your new updates.

16. Led Lampen July 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

I will be there like led lampen

17. pyramid solitaire saga on facebook July 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

free msn pyramid solitaire games

18. Boca Raton CPA supplies July 27, 2014 at 1:47 am #

You ought to be able to run the business sans worrying too much about its financial aspect.
    He or she should be a person who would be in a position to utilize resources for the benefit of
    the organization. Their main concern is to give owners updated information on current issues that may affect their business operations.

19. In the past A-list celebrities like Courtney Cox, Jennifer Anniston, Eva Longoria,
    Andi Mc – Dowell, Liz Hurley and even Katherine Hepburn have
    all had their images and persona associated with an international skin care brand – with big bucks in advertising it.
    The higher the carat of gold, the more yellow,
    richer and golden the gold ring design will appear.

‘Oh, she looks amazing in that dress, but I would never be able to pull it off because of my
    ____________ ________ ‘ (insert excuse here).

20. It is very important to find chic ball gown wedding dresses
    after you have acceded to your man. The commenter’s all have in common their first hand knowledge of the problem with too
    sheer fabrics, questioning Lu – Lulemon why only the Luon pants and
    crops are being addressed and not the entire line. One thing to remember, you shouldn’t get too tight a top tank as it will keep your
    skin wet all the time when you get sweaty.

21. review August 26, 2014 at 2:21 am #

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your weblog.
    You have some really good articles and I believe I would
    be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange
    for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested.

Many thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. At Last! Your Favorite NFL Stadium Will Be A WiFi Hotspot | News In Marketing - December 13, 2013

[…] post At Last! Your Favorite NFL Stadium Will Be A WiFi Hotspot appeared first on Sports […]