If you happen to be a sports editor looking to work in a fast paced environment, USA Today may have a sports editor position for you. The position revolves around the NFL and a “quick-twitch” style of news reporting. So be prepared to work in a fast-paced environment.
USA Today Sports Has Open Sports Editor Position
The Sports Media Group for USA Today is preparing to launch quick-hit news coverage surrounding the NFL. In USA Today’s own words:
“We are going to obsessively cover the biggest NFL stories, with a combination of quick-hit original analysis and smart, credit-where-it’s-due curation.”
A few Things About the Sports Editor Position:
- Serve NFL fans like no one else in sports media.
- Curate the best of what is out there.
- More importantly: Add value to the best of what is out there.
- Write long(er)-form analysis off the biggest stories. (Not “long” — long-ER.)
- Come up with new ways to cover the NFL, some of which will pop and some will fizzle.
- Engage fans through non-traditional media channels.
- Represent the brand in every format and platform, internally and externally.
- Work closely with the larger USA TODAY Sports NFL staff.
What USA Today’s Sports Media Group is looking for:
- Proven expertise covering the NFL, as a writer, editor, producer and/or curator.
- Authoritative understanding of (and immersion in) “NFL Twitter.”
- Voracious consumption habits of NFL-related news and analysis.
- Entrepreneurial results that you have brought to any previous role.
- Poise — judgment, communication skills — in a VERY fast-moving environment.
- Comfort with the ambiguities inherent in any start-up and a commitment to giving your best.
This sports editor position will certainly look to put editors into the heart of the NFL and the future of sports reporting. USA Today claims the job will be “awesome” and “demanding”. So if you are interested, you can send a (quick) note to [email protected] that outlines your experience and interest.
Photo credit – prnewswire.com