With over 50 years of experience in the Sports Business, Pat Williams has had tremendous success in nearly every area of the industry. He started off playing professional baseball, playing for seven years in the Philadelphia Phillies’ system. Then he became General Manager of the Chicago Bulls at only 29! Since 1968, he has been affiliated with NBA teams in Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Orlando, leading his teams to 23 NBA Playoffs appearances, 5 NBA Finals, and 1 NBA Championship.
In addition, Pat in highly sought after as a motivational speaker. He’s spoken to thousands of executives in organizations ranging from Fortune 500 companies and national associations to universities and nonprofits. He’s spoken for such prestigious companies as Coca-Cola, Disney, and Nike, to name a few.
He is also an esteemed author who has written seventy-five books. His 75th book which was just released this year, is his look at leadership after 50 years of experience, entitled “Leadership Excellence“, with the foreword written by the legendary coach Bobby Bowden and Four Star general Tommy Frank.
During the interview, we discussed:
- Pat’s Career History and what got him to where he is
- How he became a General Manager of the NBA at only 29
- His vision for creating the Orlando Magic
- His thoughts on the NBA Draft Lottery system
- His rigorous speaking schedule
- His author career and his new book “Leadership Excellence”
- Why he will never retire
- His battle with Multiple Myeloma Cancer, and keeping his optimism throughout the battle
- His advice for people looking to break into the Sports Business Industry
Video Interview With Pat Williams – Orlando Magic
Video Interview Transcript with Pat Williams – Orlando Magic
What did you think of the interview with Pat Williams? Did you learn something that will help you climb the ladder in the sports industry? Let us know in the comments below or send us a tweet to @sportsnetworker