What: The 3rd Annual Georgetown Entertainment & Media Alliance (GEMA) Sports & Entertainment Law Symposium
When: Friday, April 16, 2010
Where: Georgetown University, McDonough Room 200
Cost: Attorney receiving CLE credit ($159, $179), Attorney/Practitioner w/out CLE credit ($99, $129), Non-Georgetown Student ($19, $39), Georgetown Student (Free, Free). First number is applicable if you register before April 7th. Second price is if you wait until after that date to register. Click here to register.
8:15 – 9:00 a.m. – Networking Breakfast
9:00 a.m. – Welcome and Opening Remarks
9:10 – 10:55 a.m. – Adapting to New Media: A Look at the Legal Barriers Faced by the Entertainment and Media Industries in Adapting their Business Models to Include New Media.
- Dan Brenner, Partner, Hogan and Hartson
- Erin Dozier – Associate General Counsel, National Association of Broadcasters
- Bennett Fidlow – Partner, Schroder, Fidlow, Titley & Davis, PLC
- Mark MacCarthy – Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University
- Jon Sichel – Acting General Manager, Travel Channel Media
- Robyn Guilliams – Attorney, Fettmann, Tolchin & Majors, P.C.
- Marcus Johnson – Founder, Three Keys Music Label
- Colin Rushing – Attorney, SoundExchange
12:30 – 1:30 -p.m. – Lunch
1:35 – 3:05 p.m. – Privacy v. Publicity: A Look at the Competing Interests of an Athlete and Entertainer’s Right to Privacy versus the Media’s Right to Speak Freely.
- Meaghan Kent – Attorney, Venable LLP
- Terence Ross – Partner, Crowell & Moring
- Alicia Shephard – Professor, Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies; Ombudsman, National Public Radio
3:10 – 3:35 p.m. – Networking Break
3:40 – 5:10 p.m. – Labor and Arbitration in Sports: A Look at the Role of Arbitration in the Sports Industry.
- Donald Fish – Assistant General Manager, Director of Legal Affairs, Washington Capitals
- Damon Jones – Vice President and General Counsel, Washington Nationals
- James Oldham – Professor, Georgetown Law; Labor Arbitrator
- Benjamin Zelenko – Senior Counsel, Baach, Robinson and Lewis PLLC
5:10 – 6:30 p.m. – Reception
7:05 p.m. – Washington Nationals Game – Tickets will be sold in conjunction with Symposium registration at a discounted rate.