Top Menu

How To Play Tennis Mentally

how to play tennis

You need to learn how to play tennis mentally after you reach a certain level in this game. Everything is going to boil down to your mental game and you will always play up the imag you have of the match and your opponent.

Many players know how to play the game, but very few know how to play the mental game. The ones that do, are the ones that become Champions. The rest become good at losing and making excuses.

Which category are you in now?

Champions have mastered the mental game by learning to control their fears and dominating their emotions.

I have been studying the mental aspect of tennis for the last 15 years, and what I have found out is that 95% of the players lose because they are mentally weak. This is why the best thing you can do for your game right now is get to work on your mental toughness and don’t stop until you see yourself performing better in big matches.

I teach the mental game, and the reason why is I got tired of seeing my players lose because of their lack of mental toughness. So I refocused my efforts from technical to mental when teaching tennis and it is working.

The problem with players and coaches is that they focus too much of their time on techniques and mechanics, instead of working on building up the players mental game in preparation for any match, big or small.

How To Play Tennis Mentally

brain_tennis

In tennis you are only as good as your mental game, here are a few tips for you to meditate on.

Get the image of the type of player that you want to be in your mind. Study some pros if you have to, but make sure that the image your have is clear and vivid, then see yourself doing it, and last, act out the part until you FEEL IT! The mental game is a big game, but the physical game has to come into play at some point.

That’s the formula for success in your matchplay – players have to reprogram themselves mentally by using the above method.

Also, relax more on the court. Tension negates flow, so breathe deeply between points and and exhale at contact. That’s something you can certainly witness (and hear) by watching the U.S. Open this week. But do it in a natural way – you will always know how to play tennis at your best when you are relax and focused.

Combine seeing it with feeling it and acting out the part with good deep breathing and you are going to see better results from your game in no time at all. I can promise you that.

Let’s sum it up. Tennis is mental warfare and you are going to have to develop a warrior mindset if you want to be mentally tough in your matches. Develop this habit and you are good to go.

I’ll leave you with a quote the post up,” Your mental game is created mentally first.” Never forget this.

Good Luck!

, , ,

33 Responses to How To Play Tennis Mentally

1. Perry October 29, 2015 at 5:07 am #

Tennis is definitely a mental sport just as much as a physical sport I agree. A wrong mental model and you can quickly turn downhill from an otherwise great game in your advantage

2. willie September 8, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Physical and mental balance matter alot….If you have good balance than game is yours

3. Blake November 10, 2016 at 7:28 am #

Great article. This can actually apply to all kinds of sports. That is why having a strong mentality, a killer instinct is really important.

4. Ryan Brandon May 21, 2017 at 11:58 pm #

Thanks for this great and informational reviews . Without a doubt, tennis is a sport that requires a good amount of skill and athletic ability to play well. You need to have quick feet, strong arms and well above average hand-eye coordination if you are going to excel at it. Talent alone is not enough to get you to the top of the sport.

5. Ross Wilson July 5, 2018 at 1:52 am #

Thanks Thomas for this useful article. I was searching for mental strengthening tips for tennis and found your article. I am also a tennis player and I often get in dilemma whether to play aggressively or defensively when I sometimes face deuce in tennis.

The deuce is a very tricky condition in the game of tennis and it often makes me more nervous and I always submit to my lower self-esteem.

I agree with your view that winners never quit and quitters never win. Winners or champions in the game of tennis are the ones who always have a very strong mind and a firm belief in their ability to outsmart their opponents.

I also once failed to overcome my own fears during the game and then I lose that match due to my emotional triggers. I completely agree with your point that many tennis trainers focus on techniques and mechanics of the game. But they rather have to first focus on enhancing the mental strength and psychological aspects of the game.

Nowadays, I also train my students about strengthening their mind first and prepare them mentally to play tennis more effectively.

6. Sarvendra vashistha August 7, 2018 at 11:12 pm #

Well, this is really great to know how to turn on bluetooth in windows 10 which is shows that anyone can turn on Bluetooth in windows 10.

7. aqoo September 3, 2018 at 11:02 pm #

dadsfsdf law essay writing uk

8. angelica September 5, 2018 at 11:10 pm #

You want to discover ways to play tennis mentally when you reach a sure degree on this recreation. Everything is going to boil right down to your mental recreation and you may continually play up the image you’ve got of the healthy and your opponent best essay writers uk.

9. happy wheels October 17, 2018 at 7:50 am #

Which category are you in now?

10. https://www.assignmenthub.co.uk/ October 23, 2018 at 2:53 am #

Having pretty-looking strokes, and winning tennis matches, those are two very different things. If this player hits harder than you do, then it is normally a mistake to try and out-gun her. As the old expression goes, “Never try to out-slug a slugger,” and especially if the slugger hits harder than you do. Sharapova could use this advice against Serena, but so far has not shown us any new ideas on the court.

11. Dadu December 2, 2018 at 5:00 am #

Your mental game is created mentally first. It’s true.

12. geomerty dash December 2, 2018 at 5:03 am #

Tennis is the best. Also the best online game portal.

13. Cat Mario December 24, 2018 at 11:24 pm #

Thanks for sharing the informative information through the article

14. WuxiaWorld December 27, 2018 at 7:24 pm #

Your sharing is great. I am they are a lot of things from your article. That is a very interesting experience

15. HD Wallpaper January 2, 2019 at 12:19 am #

I would like to thank you for your nicely written post

16. outlook entrar January 4, 2019 at 12:16 am #

I am very happy to read this. Appreciate your sharing

17. pokersoda anjing January 7, 2019 at 12:19 pm #

pokersoda situs anjing

18. Andres February 18, 2019 at 5:55 am #

I think playing tennis is like color circles on your mind.

19. driving directions July 9, 2019 at 12:55 am #

This is very good, it will be on my saved recipes list. I feel it is interesting

20. Viision nl August 8, 2019 at 6:08 pm #

I got this web site from my friend who told me concerning this site and now this time I am browsing this web page and reading
    very informative articles at this place.

21. vex 2 August 26, 2019 at 2:25 am #

Your post is very attractive. It discusses in detail the issues.

22. boxnovel November 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm #

How to play mental tennis quite interesting. I am impressed with this way of playing. Thanks for sharing.

23. termos personalizados gdl March 22, 2020 at 12:06 pm #

Solución Integral Calentadores y Termos.

24. pikachu chu March 30, 2020 at 9:31 pm #

The article is very easy to understand, detailed and meticulous! I had a lot of harvest after watching this article from you! I find it interesting, your article gave me a new perspective! I have read many other articles on the same topic, but your article convinced me! bmi calculator

25. ghemassage golog March 31, 2020 at 3:34 pm #

I got this website from my buddy who told me regarding this site and
    at the moment this time I am browsing this site and reading very informative content at this place.

26. free documentaries April 1, 2020 at 2:53 pm #

Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favourite justification seemed to be at the web the simplest factor to be mindful of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they
    plainly do not understand about. You controlled to
    hit the nail upon the highest as smartly as outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take
    a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

27. reinstall microsoft outlook April 4, 2020 at 12:22 pm #

I am perpetually thought about this, thanks for posting.

28. Rosaline April 5, 2020 at 7:36 pm #

Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?

I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss
    and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would enjoy your work.
    If you are even remotely interested, feel free
    to send me an email.

29. qq288 April 7, 2020 at 3:57 pm #

Having said that, if you love to be sure products
    your rewards may be, TAB WA is an excellent
    strategy to risk it. It all sounds exciting especially with US
    based companies entering the arena nevertheless it is equipped with its issues and to be honest, we’re feeling that these companies will not have a hint in terms
    of what they are getting themselves into. The process implies that you research each of the
    marketplaces across many gambling exchange sites and different bookies,
    company, it does contain 1000s of different events.

30. Fredric April 8, 2020 at 1:43 am #

Given that the majority of people operate little range business with net currently a
    days, on-line audit as well as service features in the software
    program are must.

31. found hoodia gordonii April 8, 2020 at 1:52 am #

I wish to express some thanks to you just for bailing
    me out of this particular instance. After browsing through the online world and coming
    across solutions which are not powerful, I assumed my entire life was done.
    Living without the presence of strategies to the difficulties you’ve solved through your main short post is a serious case, and the kind that might have in a wrong way affected my career
    if I hadn’t discovered your website. Your own talents and kindness in touching all areas was valuable.
    I don’t know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a stuff like this.

I’m able to at this point look forward to my future. Thanks so much for this high quality
    and results-oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to endorse
    your web sites to any person who needs to have guidance about this problem.

32. Retro Fridge Freezer Frydge.uk April 13, 2020 at 4:52 am #

Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of this webpage, this web site is in fact
    awesome.

33. Monica Dennis April 28, 2020 at 9:16 am #

Thanks for sharing such interesting facts. I believe that everyone should be aware that some sports are not only fun and a way of maintaining fitness, but also applying a certain strategy and logical knowledge. So in order to have more time to develop such skills, all of the college assignments I trust in a proven service https://essaysleader.com/outstanding-vip-writing-services/