Want to do video interviews like this one?
One of the main areas of focus here at SportsNetworker.com is in helping our audience understand what it takes to make it in the sports industry. We do this by interviewing successful sports business professionals on how they’ve found success in the sports industry so that others can learn from their experience
This page is meant to provide guidance on how to conduct an interview article for SportsNetworker.com. It includes information on the types of interview articles you can produce, the questions to ask and the technical setup required to record your interview (audio & video).
- Written article – send the questions to your interviewee or ask the questions over the phone and write down the answers.
- Audio article – record interview, embed audio recording and transcribe to written text
- Video article – record interview, embed video recording and transcribe to written text
How To Get A Job In Sports – Interview Series (1 question)
- What advice would you give to people that are looking to land their dream job in the sports industry?
Here’s a couple examples of the 1 question interview:
- Jaime Stein – Manager, Digital Media – CFL
- Jon Sinden – Social Media Director – Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
- Darren Rovell – Sports Reporter – CNBC
- James Swanwick – ESPN – Sports Broadcaster
How To Get A Job In Sports – Interview Series (6 questions)
- Name/Title/Role (Introduction)
- What is your story?
- What was your path into your current role?
- Have you always known that you wanted to work in sports?
- Who influenced you along the way? (Mentor)
- Establishing expertise
- Unique story?? (did social media help you land a job?)
- What is the best part about your job?
- What are some of the skills required to do your job?
- Focus in one area?
- Free Work?
- Networking (events, conferences, etc)?
Here’s a couple examples of the 6 question interview:
- Tina Cervasio – MSG Networks – Sports Reporter
- Ryan McKee – Essendon FC – Fan Development Manager
- Dewayne Hankins – LA Kings – Digital Media Director
- Chris Iles – Minnesota Twins – Manager Corporate Communications
- Bryan Srabian – SF Giants – Social Media Director
Audio/Video Recording Setup
If you are interested in recording audio or video interviews, watch this video to understand how to setup your computer to record an interview using Skype. Note: This video shows you how to setup eCamm Call Recorder for Mac, but it also addresses similar software you can use for Call Recording on a Windows PC.